Savory Blueberry-Onion Jam
My aunt made this every year, now I make it and my daughter does too. Everyone loves it on hot dogs, meatloaf and even scrambled eggs. I even caught my mother eating a spoonful just because!—Pat Dazis, Charlotte, North Carolina
48 ServingsPrep: 1-3/4 hours Process: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 16 cups chopped red onion (about 10 medium)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, tarragon,
- thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35
- minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add blueberries, honey, vinegar and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until mixture is
- thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot half-pint jars, leaving
- 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if
- necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars;
- screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are