Savory Blueberry-Onion Jam Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 16 cups chopped red onion (about 10 medium)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add blueberries, honey, vinegar and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Originally published as Savory Onion and Blueberry Jam in Country Woman August/September 2014
Reviews for Savory Blueberry-Onion Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review