Did you know that cheesecake could be savory instead of sweet? Tomato and green onions mixed with cream cheese is like an irresistible form of gazpacho. Served on lettuce, the BLT version is great on its own, but it's also a tasty appetizer when served with crackers. This is a flexible recipe, so use other cheese in place of the Gruyere, and add olives, crab meat, cooked mushrooms - whatever strikes your fancy. —Joni Hilton, Rocklin, California
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Optional toppings: shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped cherry tomatoes and additional crumbled cooked bacon
- Assorted crackers, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and cream until smooth. Beat in the bacon, tomatoes, Gruyere cheese, onions and pepper. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to larger pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes; loosen edges from pan with a knife. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove rim from pan. Serve cheesecake with toppings and crackers if desired. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Savory BLT Cheesecake in Taste of Home April/May 2012, p65
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Savory BLT Cheesecake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review