Savory Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef and onion in oil over medium-high heat until beef is browned on all sides. Stir in the water, consomme, sherry, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Stir in the carrots, parsnips, potato and turnip. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 349 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 742 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.