Savory Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1. Lightly dust brisket with flour; sprinkle with pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil on broth sides over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm. In the drippings, saute onions until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Return meat to pan. Combine tomato paste, salt and garlic; spoon over meat.
- 2. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-1/2 hours. Slice meat across the grain; return to pan, overlapping slices. Add carrots. Cover and bake 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 12-15 servings.
6 ounces equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Savory Beef Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.