- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Lightly dust brisket with flour; sprinkle with pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil on broth sides over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm. In the drippings, saute onions until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Return meat to pan. Combine tomato paste, salt and garlic; spoon over meat.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1-1/2 hours. Slice meat across the grain; return to pan, overlapping slices. Add carrots. Cover and bake 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Savory Beef Brisket in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p242
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Savory Beef Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review