Fresh asparagus and goat cheese combine to make a delectable strata. Assemble it a day ahead and let it chill overnight for an easy brunch!—Lynda Ruce, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Featured In: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 packages (4 ounces each) herbed fresh goat cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with asparagus mixture, goat cheese and remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, thyme, salt and remaining pepper. Pour over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, prepare sauce mix according to package directions. Serve with strata. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Savory Asparagus Strata in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p24
Reviews for Savory Asparagus Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review