Savory Asparagus Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot, divided
- Dash pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a shallow glass container, combine 2 teaspoons of oil, sugar, salt, half of the ginger and pepper. Add beef and turn to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, vinegar and remaining ginger until blended; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, brown beef in 2 teaspoons oil. Remove and keep warm. Add remaining oil; stir-fry asparagus for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water chestnuts and onions; stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to the pan; heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup beef mixture with 3/4 cup rice, prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 371 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.