Save-the-Day Soup Recipe
"I created this pureed vegetable soup from what was left in the refrigerator before we went on an extended vacation," writes Agnes Davis of Las Animas, Colorado. "I kept the mixture in the freezer of our RV, so it made supper a snap to prepare at the campground."
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pan; stir in cream. Heat through. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without cheese): 0g saturated fat (0g sugars, 0g fiber) Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch
Reviews for Save-the-Day Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC