Save-the-Day Soup Recipe
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or fat-free milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- 2. Process in small batches in a blender until smooth. Freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen up to 3 months.
- 3. To prepare frozen soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a saucepan; stir in cream and heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth, salt-free seasoning, salt-free lemon pepper and skim milk and served without cheese) equals 76 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.