- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pan; stir in cream. Heat through. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Save-the-Day Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p49
Reviews for Save-the-Day Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review