Save-the-Day Soup Recipe
"I created this pureed vegetable soup from what was left in the refrigerator before we went on an extended vacation," writes Agnes Davis of Las Animas, Colorado. "I kept the mixture in the freezer of our RV, so it made supper a snap to prepare at the campground."
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or fat-free milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- Process in small batches in a blender until smooth. Freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer containers. May be frozen up to 3 months.
- To prepare frozen soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a saucepan; stir in cream and heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Save-the-Day Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p49
Reviews for Save-the-Day Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review