Sausage Zucchini Skillet
I began serving a version of this dish as a side with grilled salmon. I added sausage and rice-or noodles-to make a complete meal-in-one.
-Debby Abel of Flat Rock, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking
- spray. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Serve with
- rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups sausage mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 329 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or