Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut Recipe
Dress up sauerkraut with apple and fennel and serve it with Polish sausage or bratwurst. Top with your favorite mustard or relish.
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked Polish sausage
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add the apples, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat sausage according to package directions; cut into slices. Serve with sauerkraut. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 505 calories, 39 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 1,426 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC