Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut Recipe
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked Polish sausage
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add the apples, sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat sausage according to package directions; cut into slices. Serve with sauerkraut. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 505 calories, 39g fat (17g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 1426mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut
"The flavor of the sauerkraut with the apple was amazing. Will definitely be making this again!"
"I left out the lemon juice & fennel. Tasted a lot like a dish my grandma used to make!"
"Totally difference delicious way to have kielbasa! Sooo very easy!"
"Perfect for any Octoberfest celebration! We used Granny Smith apples and turkey smoked sausage.~ Theresa"
"Fabulous Fall recipe--my family DIDN'T like sauerkraut they thought--untiol I made this--has become one of our 'staples'. Just perfect sweet and sour balance. Kathy/Kamloops BC Canada"