Sausage with Apple Sauerkraut
Dress up sauerkraut with apple and fennel and serve it with Polish sausage or bratwurst. Top with your favorite mustard or relish.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 package (16 ounces) smoked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 15 minutes or until
- lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add the apples,
- sauerkraut, apple juice, caraway and fennel to the onion. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat
- sausage according to package directions; cut into slices. Serve with
- sauerkraut. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 505 calories, 39 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 1,426 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as