Sausage Wild Rice Soup Recipe
This recipe makes a big batch. So I often divide leftovers into a few containers for "freezer meals".
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:13 servings
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and remaining water. Return sausage to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper and wild rice; heat through. Yield: 5 quarts (13 servings).
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 217 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 794 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC