"This is a longtime family favorite," notes Shauna Hamman of Mesa, Arizona. Sausage adds savory flavor to this speedy skillet supper, which is nicely priced at only 63 cents for each serving.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 packages (2.1 ounces each) chicken noodle soup mix
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and celery over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove meat and vegetables
- with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the water, rice and soup mixes. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until
- rice is tender. Stir in sausage mixture; heat through. Yield: 5
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 377 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.