Sausage-Veggie Pasta Sauce Recipe
With this recipe, I can sneak so many vegetables past my young sons—and they even ask for seconds! Plus, it smells wonderful simmering all day long. Make it interesting with different pasta shapes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:7 servings
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, marinara sauce, carrots, peppers, onion, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, basil and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 7 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC