Sausage-Veggie Pasta Sauce
With this recipe, I can sneak so many vegetables past my young sons—and they even ask for seconds! Plus, it smells wonderful simmering all day long. Make it interesting with different pasta shapes.
7 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the mushrooms,
- tomatoes, marinara sauce, carrots, peppers, onion, tomato paste,
- garlic, sugar, basil and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 6-8
- hours or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 7 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.