This casserole is perfect for the holidays. It combines the spices of the Southwest with the comfort of a hearty morning breakfast. The recipe can be spiced up by adding cayenne and hot peppers, or mellowed by replacing the tomatoes and green chilies with mild salsa. The versatility and ease of preparation have made it a longtime favorite of my family. —Darlene Buerger, Peoria, Arizona
Recommended: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa, optional
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Additional chopped green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Coat a 9-in. pie plate with cooking spray; place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Lie pie plate with tortillas. Sprinkle with half of each of the following: sausage mixture, cheeses and green onions. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika and cumin; pour slowly over layers. Bake, uncovered, until set, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with remaining ingredients. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p78
Reviews for Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review