Sausage-Topped Polenta Recipe
My Italian grandmother and mother have relied on this recipe for years. Many sauces can be served with polenta, but this tomato and sausage topping is our favorite. —Joyce Riskedal, Earlville, Illinois
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded brick or mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato paste, water, parsley, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Combine cornmeal and cold water; stir into boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Spoon into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cool for 15-20 minutes or until set. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle with cheese and top with sausage mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC