Sausage-Topped Polenta Wedges Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, butter and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a 9-in. round pan coated with cooking spray; cool (polenta will thicken as it stands).
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 9-12 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Unmold polenta; cut into six wedges. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Sprinkle with remaining pepper. Top each wedge with sausage mixture, about 1 cup on each; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 330 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Sausage-Topped Polenta Wedges
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.