Sausage Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, picante sauce, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage, reduced-sodium broth and 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella) equals 161 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 870 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.