"We tasted soup a lot like this at a local restaurant," Marilyn Lee from Manhattan, Kansas happily reports. "When I came across a recipe that sounded similar, I made a few changes to create this version."
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, picante sauce, sugar, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Tomato Soup in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p44
Reviews for Sausage Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2010
"LOVE this recipe....my favorite soup!! I have made this for others and I am always asked for the recipe."
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2010
"This is a favorite recipe, in our house. healthy, quick and well recived by family and guests."