Sausage Swirls Recipe
My husband is a chaplain, so our lives are a whirlwind of potluck brunches, lunches and dinners. These delicious sausage swirls really complement the scrambled eggs and fruit salad.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds uncooked bulk pork sausage
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in enough milk to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead lightly for 30 seconds. Roll into two 16-in. x 10-in. rectangles. Crumble uncooked sausage over dough to within 1/2 in. on all sides. Carefully roll up from 16-in. end. Wrap in foil; chill for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC