- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds uncooked bulk pork sausage
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in enough milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead lightly for 30 seconds. Roll into two 16-in. x 10-in. rectangles. Crumble uncooked sausage over dough to within 1/2 in. on all sides. Carefully roll up from 16-in. end. Wrap in foil; chill for at least 1 hour.
- Cut into 1/2-in. slices; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Sausage Swirls
"My dough did not turn out right. I usually have really good dough turn outs. It just was not working this time. My dough did look exactly what it looks like in the picture too. However, the sausage idea in the dough is good idea. I think I will try it using a cinnamon roll dough instead."
"We LOVE these! Putting the sausage on raw sounds funny, but it really works. I put a little cheddar cheese on them and the affect was wonderful. I did not chill the dough and it turned out fine. (I don't care for chilling dough, it takes to long) :P God bless you!Jesus is coming soon, Abigail"
"I've made this recipe and it sounds strange to use uncooked sausage, but it works and it's delicious."