Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini (6 to 7 inches)
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Place, cut side down, in a large skillet; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until zucchini are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove zucchini and drain water. In the same skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is browned; drain fat. Add oregano, corn and tomato. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in 2/3 cup cheese; set aside. Scoop out and discard seeds from zucchini. Divide the sausage mixture among zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-5 servings.
1 each: 201 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini
"This was a great no-carb recipe.I made a few changes:no cheddar cheese. Instead, I used 1/4c parmesan cheese in the mix and a little on top when baking.No corn (I don?t like corn cooked in my food).I added 1/2c tomato sauce and instead of ditching the zucchini seeds and insides, I blended them up in the food processor and added them to the sausage mix.My husband and I loved this. The kids: not so much."
"Can't wait to make this dish again! Got rave reviews all around. The cheddar cheese is a nice touch."
"thanks- looks yummy"
"What a fantastic dish! Everyone LOVED it... even my non veggie eating husband!"