Sausage-Stuffed Red Potatoes Recipe
My husband and I have a large garden with red potatoes so I am always trying to come up with creative ways to use them in recipes. My son calls these tasty noshes potato poppers. They're delicious and low calorie. —Karen Sulak, Lampasas, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-9 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add onions and 4-1/2 teaspoons parsley; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out 1 tablespoon pulp (save for another use).
- 3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons sausage mixture into each half. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 16 appetizers.
1 appetizer equals 63 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC