Sausage-Stuffed Red Potatoes Recipe
My husband and I have a large garden with red potatoes so I am always trying to come up with creative ways to use them in recipes. My son calls these tasty noshes potato poppers. They're delicious and low calorie. —Karen Sulak, Lampasas, Texas
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 9 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-9 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add onions and 4-1/2 teaspoons parsley; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out 1 tablespoon pulp (save for another use).
- 3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons sausage mixture into each half. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 16 appetizers.
1 appetizer equals 63 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC