Baking a meal in a pumpkin—what a fun fall idea! To serve, cut the pumpkin into wedges, giving each person both pumpkin and stuffing. —Rebecca Baird, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 medium pie pumpkins (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice, bouillon and curry powder to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and shallots for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Reduce heat; add the currants, broth, poultry seasoning, sage and marjoram. Return sausage to the pan. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in rice.
- Wash pumpkins; cut a 3-in. circle around each stem. Remove tops and set aside. Remove and discard loose fibers; save seeds for another use. Prick inside each pumpkin with a fork; sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Stuff with sausage mixture; replace tops.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add 1/2 in. of water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until tender. Cut each pumpkin into four wedges to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Pumpkins in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p19
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Pumpkins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review