Sausage-Stuffed Loaf Recipe
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cut sausages in half lengthwise and slice; add to meat sauce.
- 2. Cut a wedge out of top of the bread, about 1 in. wide and three-fourths of the way through the loaf. Discard cut portion or save for another use.
- 3. Fill loaf with meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 374 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 1,192 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.