Sausage-Stuffed Loaf Recipe
- 2 Italian sausage links
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cut sausages in half lengthwise and slice; add to meat sauce.
- 2. Cut a wedge out of top of the bread, about 1 in. wide and three-fourths of the way through the loaf. Discard cut portion or save for another use.
- 3. Fill loaf with meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 374 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1192mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Loaf
"This was pretty good. My husband and 4 year old son ate half of it by themselves. I thought it was a bit salts and will put half the salt next time and add mushrooms too. Really quick and easy meal on a week day."
"I've made this numerous times. Great recipe! It's quick and delisious. The seasonings all meld together so nicely and then when you stuff it into the loaf and bake it, the bread gets a bit crusty. A wonderful meal!!!"
"This is so good! I used rolls the first time I made it and my husband was able to take some to work for lunch the next day. Recommend!"