I love to serve this hearty sandwich of sausage and ground beef in a zesty spaghetti stuffed inside of a loaf of French bread. Topped with melted cheese, it's a real crowd-pleaser every time. -Mary Koehler, Portland, Oregon
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 2 Italian sausage links
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chunky Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato, tomato sauce and seasonings. Cut sausages in half lengthwise and slice; add to meat sauce.
- Cut a wedge out of top of the bread, about 1 in. wide and three-fourths of the way through the loaf. Discard cut portion or save for another use.
- Fill loaf with meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Loaf in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p27
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2011
"This is so good! I used rolls the first time I made it and my husband was able to take some to work for lunch the next day. Recommend!"