Sausage-Stuffed French Loaf Recipe
When my family first tried this sandwich loaf, they suggested I include it as part of our annual New Year's Day celebration. It tastes great with homemade soup.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of the bread. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. In a food processor or blender, process bread crumbs until coarse; set aside 1 cup. (Discard remaining crumbs or save for another use.)
- 2. In a skillet, brown beef, sausage and onion; drain. Stir in reserved crumbs, cheese, egg, parsley, mustard, pepper, salt and fennel; mix well. Spoon into bread shell; replace bred top. Place on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil.
- 3. In a small saucepan, melt butter; add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Brush over tops and sides of loaf. Seal the foil.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 337 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed French Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC