I came up with this entree one day when I was looking for something new and interesting to serve guests. The sausage makes the chicken even more hearty and satisfying.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion until sausage is no
- longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add cheese, crumbs, salt,
- pepper and egg; mix well. Flatten each chicken breast to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Place about 1/3 cup mixture down center of each chicken
- breast. Fold long ends over filling; fold ends up and secure with a
- toothpick. Place chicken, seam side down, on top of broccoli; spread
- soup over all. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 371 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 721 mg sodium,