I came up with this entree one day when I was looking for something new and interesting to serve guests. The sausage makes the chicken even more hearty and satisfying.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add cheese, crumbs, salt, pepper and egg; mix well. Flatten each chicken breast to 1/4-in. thickness. Place about 1/3 cup mixture down center of each chicken breast. Fold long ends over filling; fold ends up and secure with a toothpick. Place chicken, seam side down, on top of broccoli; spread soup over all. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes. Remove toothpicks before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Stuffed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p85
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sausage-Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review