Sausage-Stuffed Baked Apples
With hearty sausage, crisp apples and a subtle sweet flavor, this is almost a meal in itself. My family especially enjoys this dish on a chilly evening.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 medium tart baking apples
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is not longer pink
- and onion is tender; drain and cool slightly. Core apples; cut in
- half horizontally. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine egg and brown sugar; stir in sausage mixture.
- Spoon into the apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until apples are tender. Serve
- with syrup. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 182 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.