Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Acorn squash gets a sweet-and-savory treatment when stuffed with sausage, onion, spinach and cranberries to make this pretty autumn entree. Cooking the squash in the microwave makes this quick enough for a busy weeknight.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1. Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet; add onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, cranberries and sausage mixture.
- 3. Turn squash cut side up. Stuff with sausage mixture. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 485 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC