Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Acorn squash gets a sweet-and-savory treatment when stuffed with sausage, onion, spinach and cranberries to make this pretty autumn entree. Cooking the squash in the microwave makes this quick enough for a busy weeknight.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash cut side
- down in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12
- minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large skillet; add onion. Cook over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl,
- beat egg and milk; stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, cranberries
- and sausage mixture.
- Turn squash cut side up. Stuff with sausage mixture. Cover and
- microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until a thermometer reads
- 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 485 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 843 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 25 g protein.