Sausage Stromboli Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons whipped chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Fennel seed
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, green pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and remaining salt; set aside. Punch dough down.
- 4. On a large greased baking sheet, roll dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. oval. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center.
- 5. Combine the sour cream and cream cheese; spread over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Fold one long side of dough over filling. Fold other long side over the top; pinch seam and ends to seal. With a sharp knife, cut slits in top of dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Brush top with egg white; sprinkle with fennel seed. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 322 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Sausage Stromboli
"Definitely worth repeating."
"Make these with refrigerated pizza crust to save time. Always a hit!"