- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons whipped chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Fennel seed
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, green pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and remaining salt; set aside. Punch dough down.
- On a large greased baking sheet, roll dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. oval. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center.
- Combine the sour cream and cream cheese; spread over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Fold one long side of dough over filling. Fold other long side over the top; pinch seam and ends to seal. With a sharp knife, cut slits in top of dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush top with egg white; sprinkle with fennel seed. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Sausage Stromboli
Sort By :
"Definitely worth repeating."
"Great, easy to prepare, had left overs for breakfast, and on the run , even delicious cold. Shared with friends."
"Make these with refrigerated pizza crust to save time. Always a hit!"