Sausage Spinach Turnovers Recipe
One Christmas, I gave these tasty meat pies to our neighbors as gifts instead of sweets—they loved them! The handheld pies make a handy take-along lunch. I freeze the leftovers and reheat them later in the microwave when I need a quick meal. —Vicky Henry Aurora, Colorado
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spinach, cheese, mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Divide dough into eight portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture on half of each circle. Brush edges with egg white; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- 3. Brush tops with egg white; cut slits in the top of each. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 turnovers.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC