Sausage Spinach Turnovers
One Christmas, I gave these tasty meat pies to our neighbors as gifts instead of sweets—they loved them! The handheld pies make a handy take-along lunch. I freeze the leftovers and reheat them later in the microwave when I need a quick meal. —Vicky Henry
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spinach, cheese, mustard,
- marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Divide dough into eight portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture on half of each circle. Brush edges
- with egg white; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork
- to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a
- warm place for 20 minutes.
- Brush tops with egg white; cut slits in the top of each. Bake at
- 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 turnovers.