Sausage Spinach Turnovers Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spinach, cheese, mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Divide dough into eight portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture on half of each circle. Brush edges with egg white; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Brush tops with egg white; cut slits in the top of each. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked turnovers on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, bake turnovers as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through. Yield: 8 turnovers.
1 each: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Sausage Spinach Turnovers
"This is really good!! I think it depends all on the type of sausage used. Instead of frozen bread dough, I used Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix and they turned out soft and yummy!!"
"Love these! Make a nice breakfast or lunch. Use a good sausage and extra sharp cheddar."
"I make it every christmas eve the whole family loves them"
"I didn't like this at all. Too bland."