Sausage Spinach Pizza Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add flour, oil, sugar, Italian seasoning and salt; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in Asiago cheese.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to two 12-in. pizza pans coated with cooking spray. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped.
- 5. Spread tomatoes over crusts; layer with spinach, sausage and provolone cheese. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crusts and cheese are lightly browned. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
2 slices equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.