“My husband loves this pizza, and it’s the best way for him to get his fix while staying in his carb range. Putting cheese and seasonings in the crust lets you get by with less on the top.” Elena Falk - Versailles, Ohio
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add flour, oil, sugar, Italian seasoning and salt; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in Asiago cheese.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to two 12-in. pizza pans coated with cooking spray. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped.
- Spread tomatoes over crusts; layer with spinach, sausage and provolone cheese. Bake 8-12 minutes or until crusts and cheese are lightly browned. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
Originally published as Sausage Spinach Pizza in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p15
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage Spinach Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review