Sausage Sourdough Stuffing Recipe
Sourdough’s tangy chewiness gives this stuffing texture, while sausage adds heartiness and mushrooms and cranberries lend an earthy sweetness.—Jennifer Brazell, Lewiston, Idaho
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old sourdough bread, cubed
- 2 jars (7-1/2 ounces each) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. In same pan, saute mushrooms, onion and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 2. Add bread, artichokes, cheese, cranberries, poultry seasoning, rosemary, salt, pepper and mushroom mixture to the sausage. Whisk egg and broth; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish (dish will be full).
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes until top is lightly browned and a thermometer reads at least 160°. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 224 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 539 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC