When I substituted turkey sausage for the pork sausage in my mother-in-law's recipe, we loved the result.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage and
- onion until sausage is not longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; seasoning
- blend, pepper and sage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in corn
- and milk; heat through. Garnish with red pepper. Yield: 10
- servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium bouillon and evaporated skim milk and without salt) equals 2 starch, 1 meat; also, 221 calories, 608 mg sodium, 20 mg cholesterol, 29 gm carbohydrate, 14 gm protein, 7 gm fat.