- 4 cups carrot chunks (2-inch pieces)
- 4 cups red potato chunks
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh Polish sausage links
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, potatoes and sauerkraut. In a large skillet, brown sausages. When cool enough to handle, cut into 3-inch pieces; transfer to slow cooker (slow cooker will be full). Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until tender.
- Gradually add wine. Bring to a boil; stir to loosen browned bits. Stir in pepper and caraway. Pour over sausage. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sausage Sauerkraut Supper
"This had excellent flavor. It was cooked in 6-8 hours"
"Great taste! This is a HUGE favorite in our household."
"Have made this several times and love it more each time."
"Thought it had a bad taste. didn't like in our house"
"I used a 16 oz jar of sauerkraut and some chopped cabbage and my kids especially liked it! I served mine with a little honey mustard on the side. It is very good!"