Sausage Sauerkraut Supper Recipe
- 4 cups carrot chunks (2-inch pieces)
- 4 cups red potato chunks
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 pounds fresh Polish sausage links
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrots, potatoes and sauerkraut. In a large skillet, brown sausages. When cool enough to handle, cut into 3-inch pieces; transfer to slow cooker (slow cooker will be full). Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until tender.
- Gradually add wine. Bring to a boil; stir to loosen browned bits. Stir in pepper and caraway. Pour over sausage. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sausage Sauerkraut Supper
Sort By :
"Have made this several times and love it more each time."
"Thought it had a bad taste. didn't like in our house"
"I used a 16 oz jar of sauerkraut and some chopped cabbage and my kids especially liked it! I served mine with a little honey mustard on the side. It is very good!"
"I left out the garlic and cut back on the pepper. It still had plenty of seasoning. My husband really liked it and I was happy that it did not call for brown sugar as some other sausage & sauerkraut recipes do."