Sausage Sandwich Squares Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In drippings, saute peppers and onion until tender; drain.
- Press half of the dough onto the bottom and 1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread sausage evenly over crust. Top with peppers and onion. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Roll out remaining dough to fit pan; place over cheese and sea edges.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water. Stir in remaining ingredients. Brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Sausage Sandwich Squares
Sort By :
Really enjoyed this recipe.
This is no only easy to make it is fantastic tasting! My kids wont eat anything but they love this.
These are easy and so yummy!
I like the idea of using ready made pizza dough too! Thanks for the tip!
I think this sounds super enough to please both my grandchildren and grandpa. BUT I intend to use ready-made pizza dough, as I never have enough time when we have the grandkids here!