Sausage Rye Melts
In Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Rose Maldet assembles these simple openface sandwiches, which are easy on the pocketbook at just 96¢ each. "Try the spread on English muffins," she suggest. "I serve them with a sweet-and-sour cucumber salad."
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 10 slices rye bread
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the cheese, chilies, olives and onions. Spread over
- bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for
- 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 457 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 1,121 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein.