Sausage Rice Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2/3 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the zucchini, onion, green pepper, oregano and garlic salt; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in V8 juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-14 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Return to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage, reduced-sodium V8 and garlic powder) equals 240 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 5-03 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.