Sausage Rice Skillet
Flavorful pork sausage, fresh zucchini and instant rice make this stovetop sensation a favorite with Connie Putnam's family and friends. "Everyone I have shared this recipe with tells me how delicious it is," reports the Clayton, North Carolina cook.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add
- the zucchini, onion, green pepper, oregano and garlic salt; cook and
- stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in V8 juice; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-14 minutes or until
- the vegetables are tender.
- Return to a boil. Stir in rice; cover and remove from the heat. Let
- stand for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with turkey sausage, reduced-sodium V8 and garlic powder) equals 240 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 5-03 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.