"Spicy sausage provides just the right amount of zip in this satisfying dish," informs Delene Durham of Campbellsville, Kentucky, "It's pretty, too, with three colors of peppers peeking through the rice mixture."
Recommended: 30-Minute Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow pepper, diced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the sausage is browned and onion is tender; drain. Add the rice, peppers and soups; mix well. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Rice Casserole in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p36