Sausage Quesadillas Recipe
- 1 Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain; set sausage aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 teaspoon oil for 5 minutes. Add corn and seasonings. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato and sausage; heat through.
- 2. Spoon over one side of each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese; fold over. Cook in remaining oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Cut each into three wedges. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving: 3 wedges (prepared with turkey sausage, 3/4 cup reduced-fat cheese and calculated without salt and optional ingredients) equals 486 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 835 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.