- Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, Parmesan and egg; set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir
- in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until blended. Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Layer half of the potatoes in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Top with half of the spinach mixture, sausage mixture, white sauce
- and mozzarella. Layer with the remaining potatoes, spinach mixture,
- sausage mixture and white sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, 5
- minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes
- before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 315 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.