Spicy sausage, onions, mushrooms and plenty of cheese make this pizza from our Test Kitchen a real keeper. It beats the delivery variety every time—and there’s no wait! Bake up two or more and keep one on hand for busy nights.
TIP: Substitute less spicy sausage or chicken and a variety of veggies and cheese to suit your family’s taste.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- With greased fingers, pat dough onto an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan.
- Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10-12
- minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, in a large skillet,
- cook the sausage, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat
- until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Spread pizza sauce over crust. Top with sausage mixture; sprinkle
- with cheese. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden
- brown. Or wrap pizza and freeze for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen pizza: Unwrap and place on a pizza pan; thaw in the
- refrigerator. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden
- brown. Yield: 8 slices.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (prepared with turkey sausage and reduced-fat cheese) equals 311 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 754 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,