Sausage Pinwheels with Herb Gravy Recipe
For a down-home way to start the day, I prepare this dish for my family.—Elizabeth Tonn, Waukesha, Wisconsin
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced chives, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 pound bulk spicy or breakfast pork sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon chives, 3/4 teaspoon parsley, seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon tarragon and sugar. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup milk. On a floured surface, roll or pat dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle.
- 2. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll or pat sausage into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Peel off top sheet of waxed paper. Invert sausage onto dough, lining up sausage along one long edge of dough. Peel off remaining waxed paper. Starting with the long side covered with sausage, roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam to seal. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- 3. Remove waxed paper; cut roll into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- 4. For gravy, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining flour, chives, parsley, tarragon, pepper and pepper flakes; stir until blended. Gradually add remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Serve immediately with pinwheels. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (2 pinwheels with 1/4 cup gravy) equals 585 calories, 42 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 1,209 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC