Sausage Pie Recipe
When I was growing up, Mom made this tasty casserole often in summer for our family and guests. It's a great use of garden vegetables, and the sausage adds comforting flavor. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as we do. —Sally Holbrook, Pasadena, California
- 16 fresh Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place sausages on a rack in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer pink. Cut into 1-in. pieces; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute peppers in oil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Add the sausages and the next eight ingredients.
- 3. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 336 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 813 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC